We don’t want to say goodbye to summer quite yet, but we also want to prepare ourselves for the busyness of back to school. We all know what Maria Condo would say, get organized! Don’t worry we’re not back in spring-cleaning mode, we’ve found some great tips and tricks that are *easy* and affordable for getting your house in order.
Build a command centre.
The easiest way to start your journey to organization is to make sure everyone in your home is on the same page. Communication is key to every project and back-to-school is no small task. Develop a corner or area in your home that everyone can look to for the answers they need. Get a fun calendar and write out your schedule. Add some cute cork or whiteboards from Indigo to help communicate chores, responsibilities, and reminders. This is also a great space to add some organizers or folders for commonly needed items like pens, scissors and keys. Take a look through the home section of Homesense, Miniso, or Hudson’s Bay for great solutions.
5S your stuff.
Having a designated place for everything helps to get organized and stay organized. Teaching your kids how to organize will help them feel involved in the process and take ownership of keeping their space tidy. Take these steps one room at a time.
1. Sort your toys, clothes and items into categories. Find a system to sort your things into manageable categories.
2. Sweep: Clean the area where the items will be going. You don't need to deep clean if there isn't time but a quick surface wipe to remove debris will make a huge difference. Add a spritz of room spray or a diffuser from Saje Wellness for an extra clean and fresh feeling.
3. Standardize: Find solutions to contain the items. If you know your kid's toys end up on the floor get them buckets to chuck them in. For clothes, we are full supporters of The Home Edit style rainbow colour coding. Pick a system and make it the rule.
4. Set in place: Help your kids identify a home for each of their things. Indigo and Oomomo have adorable and affordable storage solutions they will love and be willing to use.
5. Sustain: This may be the hardest step. Give yourself the room to fail but make sure to try again. If you fall off the track often, it's okay to tweak the systems until it works.
Automate your life.
Technology can be your organizational BFF so it's ok to embrace it. Keep some sanity by considering welcoming an Alexa or Google Home into your house. Not only are they entertaining but they also can help you communicate schedules, set reminders and help kids with homework. Visit The Source or any of the Wireless teams to find the best solution for your home.
What other ways do you prep your home for back to school? Let us know in the comment section below. Now that you’re all organized and ready for the school year, go try our heatless curls or no makeup tutorial for quick styles to help make your mornings before school even easier.
Subscribing to our Spark blog is like getting your very own lifestyle, fashion, and beauty experts delivering the top trends and must-haves straight to your inbox! Subscribers to the blog will be entered to win monthly prizes and what’s not to love about that? Not already a subscriber? Click here to sign up and have your name entered for a chance to win. Check out our full contest rules and regulations here.comments powered by Disqus