We love to shop for new spring styles, and this time of year the Centre is chock full of amazing options. But let’s be real – any spring trends we pick up not only have to work into our existing wardrobes (some people swear by the old rule that you should be able to wear a new piece with at least three existing closet items), but they also have to help us stylishly deal with weather fluctuations and seasonal changes. So with those things in mind, we’re experimenting with remixing our exciting new purchases with some of our tried and true faves.
Here are some of the fresh new combos we’re wearing for spring:
Remix your new skater skirt with your favourite sweater
• Once reserved for those gliding on ice, flippy skater skirts have hit the mainstream. This currently trending style is flirty, fun, and youthful ¬– and we think a classic black version is sure to become a closet key piece.
• Everyone has that favourite slouchy crew neck sweater to get us through the frigid months, and spring styles still incorporate this mainstay for transitional dressing. When paired with the skater skirt, the heavier, long-sleeved sweater anchors the lightness of the skirt and balances out those bare legs.
• Heeled mules give this pairing a more grown up look during the week, but we think a converse sneaker would be equally cool for shifting to weekend-ready.
Remix your new printed shift dress with your favourite denim skinnies
• We love a fresh new printed dress for spring, and this season’s wider shift style just begs for another layer.
• Since the super-hot days are few and far between just yet, we’re pulling out our tried and true skinny denim for a quirky-yet-girly look.
• Don’t even think about reaching for anything but your skinnies or jeggings for this look – the tapered ankle is just the right balance for the a-line shape of the shift dress.
Remix your new boxy tee with your favourite maxi skirt
• The boxy top is everywhere right now, and it definitely plays nice with this season’s soft, high-volume pants. But luckily, it’s equally great with that gorgeous maxi skirt you picked up last year.
• Look for a boxy top with a cropped-at-the-waist length. This balances out the volume on the lower body, and shows off the narrowest part of the waist (flattering for everyone!).
• Chunky accessories balance the flowy, ultra-feminine look of the maxi skirt. We especially love it paired with a heavy menswear watch, which takes the style from boho to more work-appropriate.
Did something catch your eye? Visit these St. Vital Centre retailers to shop the looks in this post (check stores for availability):
Look #1: sweater + skater skirt
Sweater: Gap, $64.95
Skirt: BCBGMAXAZRIA, $183
Mules: BCBGMAXAZRIA, $318
Necklace: Garage, $12.95
Bracelet: Hudson’s Bay, $20
Midi ring: Aldo, $10
Gold with large stones: Aldo, $10
Look #2: dress + jeggings
Dress: RW&CO, $119.90
Jeggings: American Eagle Outfitters, $49.95
Booties: Stance, $145
Necklace: Hudson’s Bay, $25
White leather bracelet: Boes, $32
Gold/rhinestone bracelet: Hudson’s Bay (set of 5)
Gold/white bracelet, Aldo (set of 4) $15
Earrings: Hudson’s Bay, $12
Sunglasses: Hudson’s Bay
Tote bag: Boes (Matt & Nat), $130
Look #3: maxi + boxy tee
Top: RW&CO, $55.90
Skirt: Bootlegger, $45
Sandal wedges: Aldo, $65
Necklace: Dynamite (set of 4), $14.95
Bracelet: Boes, $18
Ring: Hudson’s Bay (set of 20), $15
Watch: Spare Parts (Nixon), $155
Purse: Boes (Guess)